Monday, April 14, 2014

place~


I think I've spent my life seeking my place.
Never really quite fitting in any place.

I've lived in the desert,
I've lived by the ocean.
I've lived in the mountains,

I've lived in one of the biggest cities in the world,
and now I live with just a few hundred souls in the middle of nowhere.

But I still struggle with my place.



I struggle with who I am, no matter where I am.



Am I alone in this? Or is this normal?

I truly don't know.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
Or maybe it just doesn't matter.

I've carved out a life here with my family, with my land.  I've got my own business and plenty of work to do.  But I'm just not quite like anyone else here.

Especially not like the people born and raised here, their roots deep in this valley, tangled all up with one another.  I listen to the stories of their lives, amazed at how intertwined they all are.  You're still considered new here even if you lived here for more than a couple decades, and I'm not sure I can last that long.

But this I know, there is no perfect place, this side of heaven.

And so I must go on, and make the best of this place I find myself.



~~~
Joining in the April Prompts at ALM Writes.





No comments:

Post a Comment